Thursday, February 4, 2010

this is why knuckle cracking is bad.

I'm compulsive. and now, because i am compulsive i get to wear socks on my hand and repeat over and over that i am an idiot. 

Last November, I cracked the knuckles in my thumb. It made a strange noise and hurt. Being unable to help (stop) myself, i continued periodically to check if it still hurt (read, i pushed on said thumb over and over every five minutes with increasingly painful results). Realizing that this was not going as i had planned, i discovered a new way to crack the knuckle (twisting rather than pushing, since that hurt less) and moved on with life.

Unsurprisingly, December came and it still hurt. I would catch it at funny angles trying to put clothes on, shampoo, or make a fist--not that i was hitting anything, it just seemed like a smart thing to try to do. Part of the problem could be that i sleep on my stomach with my hands folded under me...so the thumb was continuing to aggravate. On our trip overseas, it was especially painful and i decided that perhaps i wasn' t going to be able to muster the sheer inner will power to leave it alone.

Honestly, i thought i had fractured it. My crazy doctor told me he thought it was a tendon thing and sent me off to the Seattle Hand Surgery center.... yeah, i didn't like the word surgery in there either. After a ten minute consult, on my 30th birthday, I met Sunny--goddess of plastic and contortion--who created this marvelous piece of hand sculpted goodness for me. It's been two weeks and today i go back to start physio therapy.  The thumb is still painful when i take the blue brace of immobility off...so i'm a little worried. Fingers crossed and voodoo mustered that maybe now we are on the road to recovery and motion. READ: Dear God, i want to be able to touch my thumb to my pinky again. Thank you. 

In the meantime, i get to be every parent's poster child for why we don't crack knuckles. UGH.

2 comments:

  1. i am a terrible person: for some reason, this made me laugh. it also made me want to crack my knuckles - something I haven't done in years, i suddenly realized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I simply want to second what johanna said
    although I actually DID crack my knuckles
    and know my left thumb hurts too.
    bleh

    ReplyDelete