Friday, December 18, 2009

the inevitable post finals " i AM a slug" day

I feel like i'm dragging my feet around...like a slug. I'm sure if someone dumped a bunch of salt on me i would melt down totally.

I dropped Adam off at the airport last night with his friend Jerome and J's folks. They are off to lie on the beach in Cancun for 5 days and enjoy ruins. I'm green with envy (see yet another thing i have in common with slugs). He will be back ENSHALLAH (God Willing) a whomping 30 hrs before we are to leave for Israel. My control freak nature was doing ok with this until he told me they were flying through O'Hare on the 23rd---at which point it was like said slug salting started and i almost melted down. I threatened him with death a few times and then drove away from the curb.

In the 30 hrs when he's back, we are doing Christmas eve with his family. I haven't done Christmas in a really long time. I don't remember anything about the couple times i think we went to church with friends as kids. All i remember is the Winegarden's Christmas lights. His family isn't particularly religious, which is good for me considering i AM. Although being Baha'i is frequently much more like a lifestyle and foundation for spirituality than a religion in my head.  Anyways, back to Christmas eve. Haven't ever done it as a grown-up, but I do appreciate that this is when humanity celebrates the birth of Christ. So, for the gift exchange i got these handmade wine glasses. I don't drink---but i wanted to get something pretty, perhaps useful (sparking cider is good in them too!) and support a local artist. I got the glasses from my friend Brooke's man: Justin Bagley. They are hand blown---black stems with irridescent gold cup parts. Really lovely.

In the meantime, I get to do all the things I have wanted to do for quite a while---like make it to a devotional called Unity Night at the Simmons home, take a whole bunch of stuff to Goodwill, buy Mona a bridal shower present, get the brakes checked, wash and clean out the truck and deep clean the apartment before the trip!!  If anyone's got free time, I would love to do coffee/dinner/Skype/see Avatar with you :)

3 comments:

  1. i feel silly just commenting on the third-to-last word, but just got home from Avatar (3D of course). it was breath-taking. such beauty in colors and concepts (of course minus the cruelty of man~~). so i say DO IT :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the invite Martha, but the ticket to see Avatar with you would be a bit too steep for me. We'll see you in Haifa though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for giving Justin a shout out. Someone from NC bought some icicles and I suspect there is a connection!

    ReplyDelete